Position: Heavy Duty Mechanic Journeyman
Type:Full Time – Monday to Friday, 8am – 5:00pm / On Call Rotation: evenings and weekends
The Heavy Duty Mechanic Journeyman is required to perform skilled tasks in the mechanical repair and maintenance of heavy trucks and trailers. The Heavy Duty Mechanic Journeyman will have the ability to troubleshoot major and minor mechanical problems, as well as have the ability to repair and adjust all necessary mechanical components.
Duties of the Heavy Duty Mechanic are to be performed according to B&R Eckel’s Transport’s operating procedures in order to maximize the safety of all personnel at the work site and to efficiently perform the task.
- Provide service for heavy trucks and trailers.
- Provide routine maintenance as well as engine and compressor overhauls.
- Check all heavy equipment for proper performance and inspect equipment to detect faults and malfunctions.
- Repair and adjust hydraulic pumps, safety valves, and any other necessary mechanical components.
- Diagnose defects in heavy duty equipment.
- Diagnose any faults or malfunctions using computerized and other testing equipment to determine extent of repair that is required.
- Inspect, repair and adjust gasoline and diesel powered units.
- Adhere to workplace safety policies, regulations and compliances.
- Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents/injuries in a timely manner to the supervisor in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work to provide quality service.
- Perform mechanical repairs on equipment in the shop and road calls when required.
- Operate automotive servicing equipment
- Installation of new and added-on equipment.
- Electrical and hydraulic troubleshooting and diagnostics.
- Accurate completion of work orders and time cards.
- Repair cooling, and lubrication systems.
- Install and align engines and machinery.
- Repair mechanical transmissions, drive-trains and final drives.
- Repair cable-operated working attachments, winches, compressors, pumps, electric generators, etc.
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance.
- Clean, lubricate and perform other maintenance work.
- Instruct apprentices.
- Keep detailed and accurate maintenance reports and documentation.
- Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology and repair techniques.
- Other mechanical repair work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must hold a Journeyman’s certificate and a CVIP License
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Proven mechanical abilities in hydraulics and electrical, including schematics and diagnostics.
- Experience with routine maintenance operations.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Manual dexterity
- Hand-eye coordination
- Physical ability to lift, reach, push-pull heavy loads repeatedly
- Travel to off-site locations may be required.
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Overtime as required.
- Hazards associated with the trade.
- Work both indoors and outdoors.
Salary Range: $43.00 – $46.00 per hour